Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My First Quilt

I just started quilting about two weeks ago. I learned mostly from blogs and videos on YouTube, so I decided to start my own blog to share my experience as a beginning quilter. If you are a newbie as well, I'm glad to share this journey with you.

First of all, let's talk about my sewing background. I was never really good at it. I had attempted to make a few baby dresses in the past. My little girl loved them, even though the seams were crooked. I was never happy with any of the clothing projects, so the patterns, fabric, and sewing machine were put on the shelf for a long time. Then suddenly all my friends started having babies, so I started making simple baby blankets. That's when I decided to try my hand at making quilts.

I've made a few practice quilts that were just awful. For those of you just starting to quilt, I highly recommend you start with the most inexpensive materials you can find! Even though I screwed up my first few projects, I learned a lot from them.

Here is my first (decent looking) quilt:


This simple patchwork quilt is a crib size quilt, about 40"x60". I sewed 4.5-inch squares together and added a border. I quilted 45 degree lines to make X's in the squares (as you can see in the brown squares) and stitched in the ditch of the border. Then I made bias tape. This was before I learned how to make double-french binding. More on that later.

I'm very proud of this quilt. Completing this quilt has motivated me to keep my sewing machine out and go shopping for more fabric. Shopping is half the fun! I will have another project to share with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment