Thursday, January 5, 2012

More Free-Motion Quilting Practice

The Candy Shop Quilt by Omega June
The Candy Shop Quilt, a photo by Omega June on Flickr.

This is my "Candy Shop Quilt" that I made with a jelly roll and fat quarter bundle that I found on clearance at Walmart. I made 12-inch log cabin blocks. The finished size is 40x60 inches.

I did much better free-motion quilting this time. I still had a few "eye lashes" on the back of the quilt, but far less than the first quilt I ruined. As you can see, I did a meandering loop-DE-loop stitch and am happy with the results.

I learned that when you do free-motion quilting, your quilt should move up, down, and side-to-side. The mistake I made the first time around was turning the quilt as I was sewing. If you have to turn your quilt, stop sewing and turn the quilt with the presser foot lifted and the needle down. DUH!

Once again, I had a blast with this project. I've already started my next project and can't wait to share it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment